1979-1984: Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Ph. D. Inorganic Chemistry
1975-1976: State University of New York at Albany; B.S. Chemistry
Astrobiology, Prebiotic Chemistry, Search for Life, Detection of Life, Dection of Microbial Metabolism, Planetary Protection.
– “The Electrochemical Reduction of Aqueous Carbon Dioxide at Electroplated Ru Electrodes. Investigations toward The Mechanism of Methane Formation.” Karl W. Frese Jr. and David P. Summers, Catalytic Activation of Carbon Dioxide, ACS Symposium Series No. 363, p. 155-170, American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 1988.
– “Mechanistic Aspects of the Electrochemical Reduction of Carbon Monoxide and Methanol to Methane at Ru and Cu Electrodes.” David P. Summers and Karl W. Frese Jr., Electrochemical Surface Science, Molecular Phenomena at Electrode Surfaces, ACS Symposium Series No. 378, p. 518-527, American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 1988.
– “Reduction of Carbon Dioxide to Methane at Copper Foil Electrode.” Karl W. Frese Jr. and David P. Summers, Electrochemical Society Symposium Series, Electrochemical Society: Pennington, New Jersey, 1988.
– “Prebiotic Ammonia from Iron(II) Reduction of Nitrite on the Early Earth.”, David P. Summers and Sherwood Chang, Nature, 365, 630-633, 1993.
– “Sources and Sinks for Ammonia and Nitrite on the Early Earth and the Reaction of Nitrite with Ammonia”, David P. Summers, Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere, 29(1)33-46, 1999.
– “Ammonia Formation by the Reduction of Nitrite/Nitrate by FeS: Ammonia Formation under acidic conditions”, David P. Summers, Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere, 35(3)299-312, 2005.
– “Nitrogen Fixation on Early Mars and Other Terrestrial Planets. Experimental Demonstration of Abiotic Fixation Reactions to Nitrite and Nitrate.”, David P. Summers and Bishun Khare, Astrobiology, 7(2)333-341, 2007.
“The Abiotic Fixation of Nitrogen on Terrestrial Planets: Experimental Results and their Implications.”, David P. Summers, Bishun Khare, and Ranor C. Basa, Invited Talk, COSPAR 2008.
-“Energy Transduction Inside of Amphiphilic Vesicles: Encapsulation of Photochemically Active Semiconducting Particles”, David P. Summers & Juan Noveron, Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere, 39(2)127-140, 2008.