The process can take a week, and sometimes more, if there is a delay in Ames Security scanning the system.
Contact your system administrator or contact Systems Support if you would like to subscribe for support.
Certified System Administrators:
1. Contact Systems Support and provide the desired hostname, type of hardware, OS, location, and name of the primary user.
2. Systems Support will determine if a network port needs to be activated and will submit a request, if needed.
3. You will be given a temporary “setup” IP address. You will need to:
- download and install OS patches, if needed
- apply CIS benchmarks, including NASA login banner,
- install Patchlink client
- turn off unnecessary services
4. Notify Systems Support when the system is ready and a security scan will be done. Fix any vulnerabilities that are found.
5. After the system passes the local scan, Systems Support will contact Ames Network Support for :
- an official scan,
- hostname/IP Address registration,
- registration of host needing ssh access from outside the PRIVATE network.
6. When the process is complete, you will be given the new IP address and other needed configuration information.